BARCELONA 23 August 2017: Spanish police on Monday shot dead an Islamist militant who killed 13 people with a van in Barcelona last week, ending a five-day manhunt for the perpetrator of Spain’s deadliest attack in over a decade, according to Reuters.
Police said they tracked 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub to a rural area near Barcelona and shot him after he held up what looked like an explosives belt, said Wam.
Abouyaaqoub had been on the run since Thursday evening, after he drove at high speed into throngs of strollers along Barcelona’s most famous avenue, Las Ramblas. After fleeing the scene, he hijacked a car and fatally stabbed its driver.
Abouyaaqoub had been the only one of 12 accomplices still at large.
“Shortly before 5 p.m., the police shot down Younes Abouyaaqoub, the driver of the van in the attack that killed 14 people in Barcelona,” Carles Puigdemont, head of the Catalonia regional government, told a news conference.
Meanwhile, Spanish Police has arrested more of the cell and produced them in court, where one of them revealed a much larger plot to bomb key locations. Hundreds of LPG containers were confiscated from where a blast is said to have killed the alleged mastermind – an imam, reports said.
By Eudore R. Chand