ABU DHABI 7 November 2017: Abu Dhabi Airports announced that it has so far spent Dh12.5 billion or 66 per cent of the Dh19.1 billion budget for its iconic structure Midfield Terminal Building (MTB), which will be completed by Q4 of 2019.
“According to the schedule, it will be ready for operation in 2019 and we are confident our contractor and teams will deliver. This building will serve 84 million passengers a year, or 11,000 passengers per hour at peak times,” said Abdul Majeed Al Khoori, Acting CEO at Abu Dhabi Airports, during a hard-hat media tour organised by the company in collaboration with the Secretariat-General of Abu Dhabi Executive Council to update media persons on the progress in the construction of the mega aviation project, one of the key projects of the Abu Dhabi government, said Wam.
”The MTB, which will support both, our own long-term growth ambitions, and those of other Abu Dhabi stakeholders, particularly Etihad Airways, as the emirate’s economy continues to expand and diversify, is now 86 percent complete and experimental operations will begin by the end of 2018,” he stated.
”The 742,000sqm MTB features the world’s longest indoor arch – 180m long and 52m high, weighing 1,000 metric tonnes,” he noted.
According to the plan, it will have 28,000 square metres of retail and food and beverage space.
”The MTB constitutes one of the key stimulants of economic growth in Abu Dhabi and a milestone in the development of the basic infrastructure needed to generate optimum revenues for the aviation sector,” he added.
The project, he said, will bolster the growing air, land and sea transport system under the Abu Dhabi Vision 2030 to build a diversified, sustainable economy.
- Over 15,000 workers on the site
- Currently 86% complete
- MTB will have capacity to handle up to 84 million passengers a year
- MTB roof is resting on 18 steel arches
- MTB roof grill weighs 20,000 metric tons
- MTB features world’s longest indoor arch – 180m long and 52m high, weighing 1,000 metric tons
- MTB baggage handling system will process over 19,200 bags per hour, along 28km of conveyor
- MTB is designed to have 45 minute minimum connection time, including baggage transfers
- MTB will have 35,000 sqm of Duty Free shopping, retail, dining, and entertainment
- MTB will be able to handle 11,000 passengers per hour at peak times
- Total size of MTB is 742,000sqm
- MTB is visible from 1.5km away
- MTB has four piers, with 65 stands, and 14 remote stands
- MTB’s longest pier is 550m
- All four of MTB’s piers used a total of 26500 metric tons of steel
- 200,000sqm of glass is being used for curtain walling of MTB
- 260,000sqm of aluminum is being used for the roof of the MTB
- MTB has been given 3 Pearl Rating by Estidama Pearl Building Rating System
- MTB will have 145 elevators
- MTB will have 46 travelators
- MTB will have 106 passenger bridges
- MTB will have over 30,000 sqm of lounge space