Don’t let the bed bugs bite you – sleep tight!
DUBAI 29 September 2017: Bed bugs are the second most common reason residents book pest control in Dubai, says ServiceMarket, one of UAE’s leading marketplace for home services.
It revealed that the majority of pest control requests submitted on their website were for cockroaches, followed by bed bugs. However, many people don’t know how to spot a bed bug infestation or know what steps they should take if they suspect they have a bed bug issue.
How to tell if you have bed bugs at home
If you are unsure, it’s best to get in touch with pest control companies in the UAE so that they can inspect your home and use specialist equipment to confirm whether or not there are bed bugs present. The following signs are what you should keep an eye out for:
● Bite marks: Bed bugs are elusive creatures and mostly come out at night when we are sleeping, so we are more likely to see bite marks before spotting one. They can easily find us by detecting the warmth of our bodies and the carbon dioxide we exhale. Their bites cause itchy red bumps on the skin, often arranged in a straight line. They don’t wake us up at night because their saliva contains a painkiller.
● Stains on your bed sheet: Rusty stains and dark spots on your bed sheets are often the first noticeable signs of an infestation. Bed bug excrement appears as dark spots. Stains and smears can be seen when you roll over bed bugs while sleeping and squash them.
● Look under your mattress: The best way to confirm whether or not there’s a bed bug infestation in your home is to spot a bed bug. Look for them in the piping and seams of your mattress and sofas, between cushions, and cracks in your bed. You might also be able to find their eggs, which are pale yellow and around 1mm in diameter.
● Musty smell: People with bed bug infestations often report a musty smell like that of rotting raspberries in their room. If you notice this in addition to one or more of the signs mentioned above, then you should take the necessary measures to eliminate the bed bug infestation.
How to tackle bed bugs
● Prevention is better than cure: Many people pay attention to bed bugs only when the infestation has already spread. Since bed bugs are resilient and can stay alive without food for more than a year, it’s better to take some preventive measures instead of trying to deal with them after they infest your room. Some tried and tested ways to prevent bed bug infestations include:
○ Keep your rooms clean and clutter free
○ Inspect your room regularly to detect signs of an infestation
○ Seal all cracks and holes in your furniture and walls
○ Be careful while traveling as bed bugs can easily hitch a ride
○ Don’t buy a second-hand mattress, and if you do so make sure you also get a suitable mattress cover
● Heat can do the trick: One of the easiest ways to eliminate bed bugs and their eggs is to expose them to high temperatures. Leaving your mattress in the sun can help, but it’s not always 100% effective as some of the bed bugs might survive if they’re not exposed to temperatures higher than 50 degrees celsius. Steam cleaning involves temperatures much higher than this and is a commonly used method to deal with bed bug infestations.
● Book a pest control service: If you suspect that there are bed bugs in your room and need an effective and hassle-free solution, then be sure to book a professional pest control service in Dubai. Not only will they be able to quickly identify and treat the infested areas, but they can also show you how to bed bug-proof your home.